Thursday, March 17, 2011

Commercial Photo vs. Artistic Photo



In this assignment I was required to create a magazine cover (a commercial photo) and contrast it with one of my artistic photos that I took in Ms. Aben's portraiture assignment.

My artistic photo of Carla is not crisp like a commercial photo is, it is intentionally blurry and it looks like Carla's ideas are seeping out of her head. However, it does have some of the qualities of a traditional photo or a photo that could be used commercially, such as her head and torso being framed and the studio setting. I also tweaked the colors in this photo to look more golden so that the little stream of light would be more apparent. My magazine cover of my dad is commercial because the image is in focus, it is a traditional photo in the sense that it is of his head and torso, but I chose to keep what he was sitting on (the couch) in the background so that he wouldn't look too floaty on the magazine cover. I chose to leave the photograph mainly as it was, but I did make some adjustments so that it looked more finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment